Experience barefoot luxury in a converted wine tank on a Greek beach, at Dexamenes boutique hotel
A stay at Dexamenes is like nothing you’ve ever experienced. Waking up in your four-poster bed with a direct view of one of the rawest, untouched beaches in Greece. Having a private dinner in an immense former wine tank under the stars. Riding a horse along the beach, the waves splashing at your toes. Working with an architecture studio, Nikos Karaflos meticulously restored an abandoned 1920s wine factory into the vision of modern, minimalist luxury that is Dexamenes.
The brutal, industrial lines that make up the bones of the old wine tanks are softened by the impeccable softness of the white sandy beach, the natural colours and textures are woven through the interior and the warmth and passion of the hosts themselves. The Dexamenes restaurant strives to work only with producers and suppliers who are seriously committed to sustainability and sources its products from as close to home as possible.
This is a hotel that is committed to excellence. Excellence, perhaps, the likes of which you may never have seen, but excellence all the same.
What we liked the most
- The way that the natural environment subtly penetrates the industrial exterior by way of trailing vines and indoor plants
- Feeling the cool brushed concrete of the floors on bare feet
- Falling asleep to the sound of the gently crashing waves, and nothing else
- Planning an activity for inside the vast wine tank, be it a starlit dinner or a yoga class
- Having breakfast on the private beach-facing patio under the canopy
Staying at Dexamenes is truly an exceptional experience. Where else would you spend the night in a wine tank that has been carefully converted into a stunning bedroom with the help of glass, steel and timber to form a supremely minimalist, almost Zen-like aesthetic? Each of the 34 suites reflects the pared-down cool of the architect’s vision while comprising all the comforts necessary to create a sanctuary for sleep and relaxation.
These 9 30sqm units have been designed to let the abundant light spread into every corner. The king-size bed is positioned directly in front of the patio doors so you can drift off and wake up in front of the redemptive ocean view and next to it is a sofa/single bed for extra guests or children. Also featuring a private patio with a comfortable seating area and a raised walkway leading directly to the sand.
Looking onto the tranquil courtyard, where the newly-planted vines are just starting to flourish, these 17 suites showcase the hotel’s characteristic industrial-chic aesthetic. With clean lines, brushed concrete and muted natural shades, the Courtyard Suites represent 17 sanctuaries at the heart of the old factory. From the sunny private patio to the minimalist en-suite, the Greek sun enters the space and fills it with its warm glow.
Ideal for those seeking peace and privacy, the 8 Backyard suites feature the stunning, pared-down décor that Dexamenes exemplifies, while still providing the utmost in comfort and luxury. Natural mattresses, a spacious bathroom with a large shower and double sinks and a quiet backyard patio give these converted wine tanks a truly singular appeal.
Services and facilities
Taste the flavors
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served across three unique locations at Dexamenes: the Ex-Engine Room Restaurant, the Beachfront Bar and The Beach itself. There is a particular charm to eating under the mulberry trees in the restaurant’s courtyard, with fruits from the same trees scattered across your plate. The chef’s creativity has no limits, except that the ingredients must be as locally sourced as possible, and dishes range from lightly seared sea bass fillets with puréed local vegetables to homemade pasta, vegan moussaka and the chef’s take on the classic Greek salad. Not to mention the in-house sommelier, dedicated to showing guests the best of the country’s wine.
Focus on sustainability
Like the fig tree roots, the property is constantly addressing many sustainable tourism areas and excelling in most fields.
- Local businesses were engaged in the construction and design of the hotel using upscaled and recycled materials. The historical structures are preserved and complemented with design elements to create a luxurious sustainable complex.
- The hotel is exclusively equipped with custom made furniture commissioned to local craftsmen except for the natural mattresses (that are from a Greek brand; though)
- The Dexamenes restaurant strives to work only with producers and suppliers who are seriously committed to sustainability and sources its products from as close to home as possible. The staff are also lovingly cultivating grape and currant vines in the hotel grounds, as a tribute to the building’s viticultural past
Explore the location
Dexamenes is situated a 3-hour drive from Athens International airport, on Kourouta beach. The nearest town is Amaliada, a typical Greek seaside town where you’ll find stunning, quiet monasteries and churches. Along the waterfront, discover cosy taverns for a fresh seafood lunch as well as plenty of activities, from horseback riding to windsurfing.