Experience the coolness of the Sahara desert at Camp Adounia, the Moroccan way
Camp Adounia is located in the Moroccan Sahara at Erg Birtham in all its eco-glory. The boutique hotel is the epitome of sustainability, from its environs down to its name, which means “life”. This Eco-desert camp thrusts you into a once-in-a-lifetime holiday experience as the owners, Emma Joyston-Bechal and Samir Ait Ahmad, hold sustainable tourism and Moroccan culture dear to their hearts.
Your journey begins in Marrakech, where a Camp Adounia driver picks you up and guides you along the sights and historic monuments on the way to the boutique hotel. As you step onto the sandy desert, the tents and local design transport you to a thrilling glamping experience. Your tent is decorated with Moroccan interior décor and connects you further to the breathtaking desert.
Take a peak at the Sahara dunes and explore them barefooted at the break of the day. Then practice mindfulness with a yoga session right atop the dunes and connect with the Moroccan desert.
Take as you sip some mint tea, you are thrown into the world of Moroccan cuisine in the communal tent. End your desert exploration with a sunset camel trek and head back to the camp. Then when the night comes, gather around the campfire and relax into the tranquillity with the melodious music of the Saharan nomads.
- Learning to cook delicious Moroccan dishes with the boutique hotel’s chef
- Visiting Ksar Aït Ban Haddou, where some Game of Thrones episodes were filmed
- Exploring the Sahara dunes on a quad bike at sunset
- Unwinding in a Hamman at the end of the day to experience the true essence of an Eco-desert shower
- Gazing up at the night sky while lying down in front of a hypnotic bonfire
In its unique room setting, Camp Adounia emits a rustic feel of comfort. The twist on these 20 tents lies in their glamping experiences and eco-friendly features. Whether you stay in the larger or smaller tents, you will be immersed in lodging that is rich in Moroccan culture and exudes bohemian vibes.
Take your connection with the Sahara desert a little further as you lie on your queen-size bed in the comfort tent. The Eco-desert camp provides it all, from Egyptian cotton linen to basic amenities for an amazing eco-bathroom experience.
Camp Adounia leaves no stone unturned as you are allowed a tent spacious enough to occupy your little family. The family tent even has the kids wrapped in comfort with its premium and hypoallergenic bedding.
Services and facilities
Taste the flavors
Enter Camp Adounia’s communal tent when you are awoken by the cool desert breeze and sunny atmosphere. There you enjoy a delectable breakfast like yoghurt, juice, warm bread and, of course, Moroccan pancakes for that local touch.
The boutique hotel unforgettably caters to your taste buds as you savour a 3-course dinner comprising Moroccan soup, tagines, and a polenta cake for dessert. Then Emma and the hotel’s head chef, Ilham, are available to cater to you if you’re up for a Moroccan-style vegan treat.
Olive Tree is often a symbol of success, as sustainability seems embedded into the property’s identity and DNA.
- Camp Adounia's chefs prepare all your meals from fresh, locally sourced ingredients.
- All electricity in the tents of the boutique hotel is generated from a renewable source of energy, solar panels.
- The boutique hotel employs effective water management procedures, such as using recycled water throughout the camp and ensuring guests are aware of their water consumption.
- Every ensuite bathroom in this Eco-desert camp is filled with solely natural skin care products.
- The camp prides itself on utilizing eco-friendly products for its kitchen and laundry services.
Explore the location
Take a stroll away from the Eco-desert camp over the majestic dunes of the Sahara, which are a few minutes away. Or hop on one of Camp Adounia's exclusive tours for a memorable experience of the Moroccan desert. Then immerse yourself in the culture of the oasis as you ride a camel from the new Mhamid to the old oasis. Or sip some mint tea down in Moulay Idriss.
Camp Adounia is 1.5 hours away from the nearest large town, Zagora, while the airport at Marrakech is an 8-hour drive from the camp.