Dar Chick Yahia: an escape from the hustle of the city surrounded by calm and natural beauty
Painted in white and blue lime, Dar Chick Yahia, has the charm of traditional Djerba houses. The Houch, has arched doors overlooking a vast central patio and an Andalusian-style water fountain. The guesthouse has a down-to-earth interior, yet is rich in Southern culture, from the artisanal birdcages to the clay flower containers and the pottery, even the klims (handmade wool Tunisian rugs), are all made by local artisans a few miles from here, in Guellela.
You can relax on the lounge chairs and sunbathe, walk to the untouched beach of fine sand with an apéritif in your hand. If you are craving a fancy meal or dreaming of some adventure, Manuel, your passionate host he can give you spot-on recommendations, arrange for cultural or adventure activities or even cook a yummy dinner.
What we liked the most
- Watching the sunset melting into the sea while sitting on the terrace
- The authentic traditional architecture in a renovated house
- The intimate setting as every room has its own private entry and terrace
- Unique access to an untouched beach of fine sand
The rooms breathe simplicity and attention to detail. The five rooms reflect the sense of ease that the owner wants to provide, with the traditional wooden bed base, the high-quality mattresses and linen, the artisanal carpets, and the locally designed curtains.
In a white large studio, you can find two separate bedrooms. When you open the private entry to the terrace, you would enjoy an exclusive view of the beautiful beach. So get yourself a nice cup of coffee and enjoy the serenity.
As a couples gateway spot, you will most likely enjoy staying in this room with its simple minimalistic decor yet attractive atmosphere and cosiness. The room contains a double bed (or two single beds) a typically traditional bathroom with an Italian-style shower.
Services and facilities
Taste the flavors
Breakfast, Table d’hôte and more
While staying at Dar Chick Yahia, you can wake up to a real morning treat with fresh fruits and eggs your way. Have your preferred hot drink with croissants and bread that are ordered specially for the guesthouse, local fig jam, biscuits and delicious Tunisian dates.
Upon request, the house cook can prepare a three-course Tunisian meal using delicate olive oil from local farms or freshly caught. Moreover, the kitchen is accessible for guests in an attempt to make you feel comfortable and at home.
Focus on sustainability
- The building restoration preserved the traditional Houch architecture which makes the best of the local climate:The interior patio optimizes room’s natural lightning; the think stone walls act as a natural insulator…
- Dar chick Yahia is 100% self-sufficient for electricity during its operating period (solar panels)
- The property is decorated with vintage or locally hand-made items.
- Manuel, the owner, is very actively involved in environmental initiatives and acts to promote the independent hospitality structures in the South of Tunisia
Explore the location
Dar Chick Yahia is a perfect getaway to connect with nature and the virgin scenery as only sands and palms surround the property. A beautiful unspoilt beach is few steps away from the back door of the guesthouse. Djerba’s touristic attractions and lively areas are a 20-minutes ride away. Manuel has agreements with local drivers and can order a taxi for you to explore Houmet Souk, Guellala, the potters' village or Erriadh the typical Jewish quarter with the amazing Djerbahood artworks.
The property is also 15-20 from Djerba Airport and just 10min from the Ajim port, where a bac links the island to the mainland.